Children's Library Assistant
Reports to: Head of Children's Department
Qualifications desired: two years of applicable college training preferred and/or library experience. Applicant should be able to work days, evenings and weekends as required, approximately 20 hours per week.
Knowledge and Skill Abilities:
- Must be able to meet and deal with people effectively and work well with children.
- A basic
layman's knowledge of children's literature preferred.
- Must be able to work well with the public.
- Must perform in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be able to perform basic clerical and computer tasks.
- Must be able to work as part of a team.
- Must possess excellent telephone skills.
- Must be able to move items and materials approximately 40 lbs. in weight.
- Valid driver's license and reliable mode of transportation required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides readers' advisory for patrons, primarily children and parents.
- Presents weekly library story times for toddlers and preschool age children and assists with other programs as needed.
- Travels to local preschools to present on-site story times.
- Assists the Children's Librarian with materials and selection or weeding of collection.
- Performs desk duty operations including reference assistance, catalog instruction, location of materials and instruction in the use of reference materials and library classification system.
- Checks in and checks out materials to patrons using automated system.
- Assists with materials selection for teachers; prepares collections for teacher loans.
- Assists in the Ohio Room with genealogy and local history inquiries when a Genealogy Librarian is not available.
- May serve in any area of the library system at the request of immediate supervisor and/or director.
- Attends conferences and workshops relevant to designated work.
- Performs other duties as required.
Applications are available at the main desk and will be accepted until October 25th.
Watch this space for information about further employment opportunities at the library as they arise.