Galion Public Library now offers electronic books for your Nook device through the
Ohio Ebook Project
Getting Library Books for Your Nook
- you will need:
- your Nook device
- a computer with internet access
- your email address
- your library card.
- Sign up for an Adobe ID from
the Adobe Membership site.
Without an Adobe ID, you will only be able to access your
library ebooks on the computer you first use to download them.
If you have an Adobe ID, you can
authorize all your
computers and devices, including your Nook, with the same ID.
Once you have done this, Digital Editions will allow you to
transfer ebooks from one device to another (e.g., from your
computer to your Nook), so that you can read your library books
on any of your devices.
- Download and install the
software from Adobe.
(See the instructional video from Round Rock Public Library
or from other sources
for how to do this.)
You will not be able to use library ebooks without this software.
- The first time you run the Adobe Digital Editions software, it will ask you
whether you want to authorize your computer with your Adobe ID.
Say yes, and give the email address and password associated with your Adobe ID.
- Now, whenever you want an ebook, visit the
Ohio Ebook Project
website. Click the Sign In link in the header, choose
Galion Public Library from the drop-down list of
libraries, and enter your library card number to sign in.
- You can either browse through the collection (using the
Browse links down the left side of the page) or search
for whatever you like. Ebooks come in several different
formats (EPUB, PDF, Kindle, etc), and audio materials are
available in a couple of different formats as well (MP3 vs
WMA), so be sure to choose a format that your device
supports. The Nook supports EPUB and PDF ebooks.
EPUB books are better if you want to be able to change
the text size.
- Just like a regular library book, an ebook may be available
right away, or there may be a waiting list.
If you join a waiting list, you will receive email when
the book becomes available for you.
- If a book is available right away, there will be an
Add to cart link.
Add to cart link tells the
site that you want to check out the book. If you like, you can
add several books to your cart before you check out.
- Whenever you add a book to your cart, you can either continue
browsing or proceed to checkout.
When you click the
to checkout link, the site will ask you whether you prefer
a 14-day or 7-day checkout. The book will automatically expire
from your device after the set amount of time, so you don't
have to worry about
returning your books on time: it's
automatic. The advantage of a 7-day checkout is that you will
be able to check out more books sooner. (Due to high demand,
there is a limit to how many books you can have out at once.)
Select the lending period you prefer and click the
Confirm Check Out button.
- Once you have checked out, there will be a Download
(If you come back later, you can find the download link under your
My Digital Bookshelf when you sign in.) Click the Download
link to download the book to your computer.
- The book you downloaded should open in the Adobe Digital Editions
software that you installed earlier. You can use this software
to read the book on your computer if you like.
- You can also transfer the book to your portable reader.
Plug in your device to your computer,
while the ebook software is open.
Your device should be listed (usually in a sidebar).
The first time you do this, the software will ask you
if you want to
authorize your Nook device with
your Adobe ID. Say yes.
- You can now drag any of the titles from your
bookshelves onto the name of your device to transfer the
books onto the device.
Returning Library Ebooks Early
One of the nice things about ebooks is that they
return themselves after the
loan period. However, it is also possible to return
them early. Here's how:
- Open Adobe Digital Editions
- Find the book in your collection or
- There will be a small drop-down triangle
near the corner of the book cover image. Click it.
This will open a context menu.
- One of the items on the menu is
Return Book. Click that.
- If you want to delete the book from your portable
device right away,
connect the Nook to your computer.
(or whatever file manager you use),
double-click on your Nook.
- Double-click on the Digital Editions folder.
- Drag the book to the Recycle bin.
- Eject or Safely Remove the Nook from your computer.